The 3 hardest PC games, according to the PC Gamer staff

The 3 hardest PC games, according to the PC Gamer staff


I was 14 when Sephiroth kicked my ass in Kingdom Hearts 2. I had zero context for who he was or why he was built to be one of the hardest fights in the game. He was the only obstacle between me and my 100% completion, so I spent hours and hours dying to him for the one chance I could find an opening to take him out.

Moments like that, especially at a young age, stick with you. The hardest games have a way of drilling into your brain; you remember the frustration and the eventual elation from the duel between you and the systems that feel designed to piss you off, or worse, designed so badly that it's practically an insult.

These are the PC Gamer staff's picks for the hardest games they've played. The games that didn't budge, the games that probably still haunt each of them to this day.

1.Getting Over It with Bennet Foddy

Morgan Park, Staff Writer: Not a particularly surprising answer, but when I think of difficult games, Getting Over It is top of mind. I find this one frustrating partially because I love so much about it. The man in the pot with a sledgehammer is so brilliantly weird and the periodic voiceovers about how difficult the game is are surreal. No game has ever pissed me off so passionately, and I think it's because few games make it easier to actually lose progress before your very eyes. Just when I think I've mastered a nasty slingshot 140 degrees up a cliff, the hammer decides to lose all friction and catapult back to the start of the entire game. Screw that. But also? Genius.

2.Elden Ring

> Sean Martin, Guides Writer: Malenia is the toughest boss FromSoftware has ever devised; worse than Ornstein and Smough, Orphan of Kos, Isshin, Midir, and even those gargoyles in Dark Souls 2, which is the closest I've come to rage-snapping a game disc. I got obsessed trying to find an answer to her Waterfowl Dance(opens in new tab), the attack where she rushes you like a hummingbird made of knives. When I finally puzzled out that if I timed it right, I could run away then dive back through it, I felt such triumph. Then I found Bloodhound's Step and realised I'd been doing things the hard way.
3.Ghosts 'n Goblins

Jody Macgregor, Weekend/AU Editor: I had the Commodore 64 version as a kid, and the fact I was so young when I played it probably didn't help. Ghosts n' Goblins did seem bastard-hard, though. One hit robbed you of your armor, leaving you in a pair of boxer shorts, and a second hit meant death. The jumping was tricky, with no midair after-touch to tweak your momentum, and sometimes you'd clip right through the moving platforms. That might have been a C64-specific bug, though the C64 version also had the best soundtrack. The music is probably the only thing that kept me playing it.

0 Comments :

Post a Comment